What A Super Bowl Hero Can Teach Social Media Marketers
Vince Lombardi is considered one of the greatest football coaches of all time. He won five NFL Championships including Super Bowls I and II during his time coaching the Green Bay Packers.
Social media marketers can learn from Lombardi’s ability to teach, motivate and inspire football players to win.
Here are seven of Lombardi’s football related quotes that contain social media lessons to apply to your marketing.
- The quality of a man’s life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence, regardless of his chosen field of endeavor. While social media experts make it look easy, they’ve achieved their position through hard work and on-going engagement because on social media, people have shorter memories. The great attribute of social media is that everyone has the ability to leverage these platforms to accomplish their goals and to get their message out to a larger audience. Actionable Social Media Tip: By helping others on social media, you extend your circle of friends and colleagues and build an audience that supports you. It’s important to remember that social media has a social responsibility.
- It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up. People aren’t born knowing how to interact on social media. Given that these platforms continue to evolve, often in beta formats, it’s not surprising that a person can wind up making a misstep. While there’s a potential for a PR crisis, it’s important to engage where your customers spend their time. (Here are seven social media guidelines to help you in a crisis.) Actionable Social Media Tip: On social media, mind your manners and understand what’s acceptable on specific platforms so that you don’t step on prospects, customers or the public’s toes. (To help you, here’s a guide to Twitter etiquette and a guide to Pinterest etiquette.)
- People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society. Without ever having experienced social media, Lombardi described the ethos of social networks where participants pay-it-forward without expectation of compensation. The idea is that, as part of the social media ecosystem, people help each other. Actionable Social Media Tip: Social media platforms enable individuals, businesses and other organizations to reach out and help those around us. It can be by offering supportive comments, sharing other people’s information or actually taking some action.
- The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Social media platforms can be great equalizers by enabling those with special talents to create and share their work. Actionable Social Media Tip: Use social media to expand your reach and share your specialness with the world. It can take a variety of formats, as a community united to accomplish a special objective or a blog focused on a specific topic.
- Leaders aren’t born, they are made. And they are made just like anything else, through hard work. And that’s the price we’ll have to pay to achieve that goal, or any goal. Social media requires on-going engagement and effort to build your following and base. Actionable Social Media Tip: Social media, unlike other forms of communications requires on-going engagement. As a marketer or business executive, it’s critical to set tailored goals defining what you want to accomplish on each of the social media platforms where you’re engaged.
- Winners never quit and quitters never win. This is particularly true for social media where you can’t just run a one-time campaign. For most companies and brands, it doesn’t make sense to build an audience for a one-time event and abandon it as LeBron James did in 2010 when he attracted over 150,000 followers in seven hours before he announced that he was signing with the Miami Heat. Actionable Social Media Tip: Remember with social media, it’s important to continually show up and engage. Plan your social media involvement and interaction for the long term to ensure you maximize the ROI. Build and enhance your community like American Express does with OPEN, for example.
- Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate. This logic applies to social media where you need social media managers and consultants who’ve engaged on these platforms and understand how to interact with participants to answer their questions and meet their needs. Otherwise, you’ll fail at social media without really trying. Actionable Social Media Tip: Spend time listening to your prospects, customers and the public on a variety of social media platforms to empathize with them. Don’t use social media as another channel for pushing out your marketing message. Respond to prospects and customer on social media platforms, over 70% of companies don’t. If you can’t be available on social media 24/7, let your visitors know when your staff will be available and provide them with alternative methods to contact you.
Just as Vince Lombardi coached his football players, it’s important to aim to succeed and to continue to show up and participate on social media.
Want more wisdom from Vince Lombardi? Check out his The Lombardi Rules: 26 Lessons from Vince Lombardi.
What is your favorite Vince Lombardi quote and what is its relevance to social media?
I’ll be speaking at:
Here are some related articles:
Photo Credit: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/98511613/