I wish I could share with you my learnings from Project Voice/Conversational AI.
Unfortunately, I got food poisoning and wound up in the ER last Sunday so I was unable to attend the conference.
The good news is that I’m better and at the Creator Economy Expo (CEX) in Cleveland.
Table of Contents | Volume 11, Issue 18
Voice / Conversational AI: What You Need to Know
The power of Voice / Conversational AI occurs at the intersection of audience, brand and context. These 3 factors define the way your prospect, customer or visitor wants to engage with your business.
Because the device the visitor uses defines when, where and how they want to interact with your brand. So you know what content to deliver, what format to present it in, and how to deliver it.
According to McKinsey, our marketing must compete in the post-seismic shift era. This means prospects and customers purchase via sales, voice and online in equal proportions.
Actionable Voice / Conversational AI Tip
- Add Voice / Conversational AI to your marketing mix.
- Voice Marketing: The How To Guide You Need To Be Competitive
- How Voice Marketing Works: The Inside Scoop You Need To Succeed
- Voice Marketing ABC: How To Achieve Business Success
- Sonic Branding Definition: What You Need To Hear To Amplify Your Reach
- Voice Marketing Challenges: What You Need To Know Now To Get Heard
- Voice Content: 10 Audio Content Formats Your Marketing Needs
- Voice Marketing Business Case: What You Need to Know That Will Make Your Management Agree
Marketing Lesson of The Week
► Why Your Main Platform Trumps Content and Personality
Last Monday, Fox News dismissed Tucker Carlson and his Executive Producer. The only public explanation was their press release. It read as follows:
“FOX News Media and Tucker Carlson have agreed to part ways. We thank him for his service to the network as a host and prior to that as a contributor.” (Source)
Further, Carlson has remained uncharacteristically quiet about his departure.
To-date, Fox News is filling Carlson’s timeslot with basic news tailored to their audience’s tastes. This is a sharp contrast to Carlson’s colorful commentary. This content satisfies their viewers without the use of extreme language or questionable images
To put this change in perspective, Carlson’s 8pm (ET) show ranked second according to Nielsen’s 1Q2023 ratings of television audiences. The show’s audience averages 3.25 million viewers. This includes people who watched the show in real-time, via non-television devices and time-shifted it.
As a marketer, did you think:
How can a media entity or other platform risk losing such a large audience?
By remaining quiet, Fox News had reduced the lifespan and salience of the story.
Limited impact on their audience.
► Actionable Platform Marketing Lesson: Fox News
Fox News decided to let Carlson go knowing that it wouldn’t hurt their brand or bottom line over the long run.
Carlson isn’t the first high-profile employee with whom Fox News has parted ways. Other high-profile examples include Roger Ailes, Fox News’s former president, and Bill O’Reilly, whose show Carlson took over.
Platform trumps personality and/or content over time.
Carlson was good at feeding his audience the highly tailored content they wanted in an easy-to-understand presentation that translated well to social media.
While this appeared to make Carlson look untouchable, the reality is the long-term gains he made accrued to the network. So Fox News may suffer a short-term loss in rankings and audience, but over time this change will look like a small blip.
Based on its past experience, the management of Fox News knows that its platform is stronger than the combination of its talent, content and presentation.
► Platform Marketing Case Study: MSNBC
Need further proof regarding the strength of platforms over personality and content?
Let’s examine another case study.
On the Nielsen chart, the Alex Wagner Tonight show on MSNBC clocks in at number 18. What makes this surprising is that the show has been on MSNBC for less than a year.
So why is it ranking in the top 25 shows?
Prior to hosting this show, Wagner was a fixture of unrated cable shows and highly rated social media darlings, not the television big leagues. By itself, this isn’t enough to push Wagner’s show to the top.
So why does her show make the Top 25 Ranked Television Shows?
Because she took over a slot previously covered by Rachel Maddox’s highly-rated show.
Maddox built the slot into a must-watch show for a wide variety of small, diverse audiences. Together, these audiences created an eye-popping total. While Maddox used her power to negotiate a new opportunity at the network, her audience remained loyal to her previous timeslot.
Because Maddox had made the MSNBC 9pm time slot into a content habit for her audience and the viewing habit remained after she left the show.
As “The Hook Canvas” created by Nir Eyal shows:
Once a habit is created, it a lot of work to change.
Actionable Marketing Tips
- Build your audience on an owned platform. While it may be easier initially to build an audience on another platform, to succeed, get your audience to follow you to a platform you own.
- Offer content in a variety of formats. Allow your audience to choose how they consume your content. This includes formats, times and devices.
► How To Maximize Earned Traffic
Donor-financed ProPublica’s story about how Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas’s ongoing relationship with Dallas businessman Harlan Crow has benefited him and his family continues to grow and attract attention across the US.
In case you missed our original analysis of the story and how ProPublica used it to maximize donations, read our story now
Since then, ProPublica’s staff continues to widen and deepen its coverage of the Supreme Court Justice. Almost every day they publish new content and/or updated past stories.
► How ProPublica Maximizes Traffic
Each new article has a header bar with a “Donate” button that remains visible during the entire user session. Further, there is a “Donate” button in the top image.
Further, ProPublica drives readers to related content on their website. This image shows their sidebar of related stories.
What is missing? Another “Donate” button.
ProPublica drives readers to related stories about Supreme Court Justice Thomas.
Actionable Content Marketing Tips
- Always make it easy for readers to find related content. Add links to related stories within the text of your content. Where appropriate, add a Table of Contents like ProPublica does.
- Include a call-to-action in your Table of Contents to encourage visitors to take another action. Guide them to increase their relationship with your brand. See the proposed “Please Donate” box above.
► How To Get The Best Results From Traffic Boosts
As a donation-based platform, ProPublica’s site was created to get the maximum results from each visitor regardless of their daily traffic results. Even better, these actions contribute to ProPublica’s search marketing efforts.
ProPublica has added the following opportunities to engage visitors and make them stay on their website:
- Provide a short summary so readers know whether they want to continue reading or to share the content. This reduces their bounce rate on search engines and their website.
- Make it easy to share content. ProPublica offers a variety of different social media sharing options with related content and visuals.
- Offer an audio option. This is a great way to increase visitor time on-site.
Actionable Content Marketing Tip
- Use common options for newsletter registration and other actions. ProPublica uses a text link to encourage newsletter registration. Instead, make it fast and easy with a consistent registration button. At a minimum, test it on different devices.Here’s our newsletter registration. Sign up if you aren’t already a subscriber!
► How To Maximize Earned Media
My friend and colleague, Gini Dietrich, of Spin Sucks developed the PESO Model to explain how Paid, Earned, Social and Owned Media work together.
Of these 4 media types, earned media is the hardest get to drive quality results. Earned media requires getting other media entities to spotlight your content on their sites.
For example, here’s a YouTube video of how MSNBC host Chris Hayes presented the story.
This video spotlighting the story of Clarence Thomas generated 330+k views on YouTube to-date. As a result, it ranks in Google for the search term “ProPublica Clarence Thomas”.
While this is good for ProPublica, they could get more visibility if their branding was extended to this visual on both MSNBC and YouTube.
Actionable Content Marketing Tips
- Swap their standing Republication Rules when this story took off to require other entities to include ProPublica’s branding and related story URL. This would have increased their earned media and site visitors.
- Add multiple “Donate” buttons to all related stories.
To get a full understanding of the Creator Economy, read Joe Pulizzi’s Content, Inc. Second Edition.
Our AMG Interview with Joe gives you new insights into how to become a Content Entrepreneur.
To celebrate some of our favorite Creative Entrepreneurs, check out their books:
|Jay Acunzo||Jay Baer||Roberto Blake||Andy Crestodina||Chris Drucker||Ann Handley||Robert Rose|
Plan Ahead: Mark Your Calendar
► CX Connect– June 13–15, Online via Zoom
CX Connect will feature three days of thought-provoking presentations from the leading experts in customer experience.
► The Conversation Design Conference – July 24th – 25th in London, UK
bringing together the leading thinkers and doers in Conversation Design
Organized by VUX World.
► Marketing AI Conference – July 26 – 28 in Cleveland, OH
Register now with the promo code: RAIMOND100 for $100 off of the purchase price.
► Voice and AI – September 5th to 7th in Washington, DC
► Content Marketing World 2023 – September 26 – 28 in Washington, DC
► MarketingProfs B2B Forum – October 4 – 6 in Boston, MA
► Are you hosting an event that you’d like us to add to the Marketing Calendar? If so, let us know by using our Contact Form with the Subject Line: Event For AMG Newsletter Calendar.
Welcome New Subscribers!
If you enjoy reading the AMG Newsletter,
please forward it to your friends and colleagues.
P.S.: Want Heidi Cohen to contribute a quote or other commentary to your next article, presentation, video, research, or book? Then hit reply to this email and ask.