Because every marketer should be always be learning!
Based on years of experience, these quotes provide insights for your marketing and broader business.
In the process of compiling this list of marketing quotes, I stumbled upon this gem by Stephen Denny:If dogs don’t like your dog food, the packaging doesn’t matter. Stephen DennyClick To Tweet
I laughed out loud because I had learned this lesson the quite literally. When I was in elementary school, my mother sent me to the local grocery store to buy 2 cans of dog food.
Since mom didn’t specify which brand, I bought the cheapest one. I can still remember its awful smell. It was so bad the dog refused to eat it!!!
So, whether you’re in school or not, go through this entire list to get the most from these 50 marketing quotes.
50 Marketing Quotes for Back-To-School To Improve Your Results
Marketing Strategy Quotes
- “People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing.” – Dale Carnegie
- “We decided that if we get the culture right, most of the stuff, like building a brand around delivering the very best customer service, will just take care of itself.” – Tony Hsieh – Zappos
- “Bring the best of your authentic self to every opportunity.” – John Jantsch
- “Quality is much better than quantity. One home run is much better than two doubles.” – Steve Jobs – Apple
- “The worst advice? ‘Don’t listen to the critics.’ I think that you really ought to listen to the critics, because sometimes they’re telling you something is broken that you can fix.” – Stephen King
- “Companies pay too much attention to the cost of doing something. They should worry more about the cost of not doing it.” – Phillip Kotler
- “Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.” – Niccolò Machiavelli
- “Take some initiative and snap outside of passivity; consistent small actions have impact.” – Darren Rowse
- “Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” – Sun-Tzu
- “When it call comes down to it, nothing trumps execution.” – Gary Vaynerchuk
Customer-Focused Marketing Quotes
- “Talk to someone about themselves and they’ll listen for hours.” – Dale Carnegie
- “Good marketing makes the company look smart. Great marketing makes the customer feel smart.” – Joe Chernov
- “The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell.” – Confucius
- “The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself.“ – Peter Drucker
- “Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” – Bill Gates
- “If you show people the problems and you show people the solutions they will be moved to act.” – Bill Gates
- “Permission marketing is marketing without interruptions.” – Seth Godin
- “Make the customer the hero of your story.” – Ann Handley
- “I’d rather spend money on things that improve the customer experience than on marketing.” – Tony Hsieh
- “Marketing is the art of creating genuine customer value. It is the art of helping your customer become better off.” – Phillip Kotler
- “Anyone can start a blog, but the real test is getting readers.” – Jon Morrow
- “The consumer isn’t a moron. She is your wife.” – David Ogilvy (Here are 5 content marketing lessons from an original MadMan.)
- “…the most critical part of a successful content marketing program is building your audience….Without the audience, we cannot drive revenue of any kind.” – Joe Pulizzi (Check out our author interview with Pulizzi.)
- “Nobody cares about your products (except you)” – David Meerman Scott
- “If you want to understand how a lion hunts, don’t go to the zoo. Go to the jungle.” – Jim Stengal
- “To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” – Sun Tzu
Product Related Marketing Quotes
- “Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” – Steve Jobs (For more insights, read 7 of Steve Jobs’ Marketing Lessons.)
- “Marketing is what you do when your product is no good.” – Edwin H. Land
- “You must make the product interesting, not just make the ad different.” – Rosser Reeves
Brand Related Marketing Quotes
- “A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person. You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well.” – Jeff Bezos
- “Publicity is absolutely critical. A good PR story is infinitely more effective than a front page ad.” – Richard Branson
- “A branding program should be designed to differentiate your cow from all the other cattle on the range. Even if all the cattle on the range look pretty much alike.” – Al Ries
Advertising Related Marketing Quotes
- “In advertising, not to be different is virtually suicidal.” – Bill Bernbach (Read more wisdom from this great MadMan.)
- “Make it simple. Make it memorable. Make it inviting to look at. Make it fun to read.” – Leo Burnett (Check out these 12 advertising lessons from Leo Burnett that are still relevant today.)
- “Advertising is what you do when you can’t go see somebody. That’s all it is.” – Fairfax Cone
- “Give them quality. That’s the best kind of advertising.” – Milton Hershey
- “The simplest definition of advertising, and one that will probably meet the test of critical examination, is that advertising is selling in print.” – Daniel Starch
- “Don’t sell the steak. Sell the sizzle.” – Elmer Wheeler. (This was a favorite saying of my dad’s. Here’s my spin on the quote.)
Content Marketing Quotes
- “Make your marketing so useful people would pay you for it.” – Jay Baer
- “Marketing is a contest for people’s attention.” – Seth Godin
- “Good content isn’t about good storytelling. It’s about telling a true story well.” – Ann Handley
- “If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.” – Stephen King
- “Content is the atomic particle of all digital marketing. Everything.” – Rebecca Lieb
- “People share, read and generally engage more with any type of content when it’s surfaced through friends and people they know and trust.” – Malorie Lucich (Facebook)
- “Blogging isn’t about publishing as much as you can. It’s about publishing as smart as you can.” – Jon Morrow
- “Content Isn’t King, It’s the Kingdom.” – Lee Odden
Story Inspired Marketing Quotes
- “If your stories are all about your products and services, that’s not storytelling. It’s a brochure. Give yourself permission to make the story bigger.” – Jay Baer (Check this author interview with Jay Baer.)
- “The key is, no matter what story you tell, make your buyer the hero.” – Chris Brogan
- “Stories are how we learn best. We absorb numbers and facts and details, but we keep them all glued into our heads with stories.” – Chris Brogan
- “… many organizations don’t realize that they have a much better option—they can tell their story directly to an interested market.” – David Meerman Scott (See what Scott has to say about how to use newsjacking.)
50 Marketing Quotes For Back-To-School Conclusion
All of these 50 marketing quotes are based on best practices. Some of them are grounded in the theories and terms of war because marketing is based on the strategy and planning of war.
So, if you want to improve your marketing, spend time each day with one of these quotes to understand how you can improve your business.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on September 1, 2014. It has been updated and expanded with new content.
Get Heidi Cohen’s Actionable Marketing Guide by email:
Want to check it out before you subscribe? Visit the AMG Newsletter Archive.
Content is highly important, but widely ineffective. What does that mean for the modern marketer?
It’s no secret that today’s buyers are overwhelmed–bombarded from every angle—but are we, as marketers, enabling their decisions or simply adding to the noise? Experience matters more than it ever has before, and what enables that experience is content. Whitepapers, guides, videos, landing pages–as the differences between company offerings grow narrower, the content your buyer engages with can make or break a sale. Are you prepared to give them what they want?
New research from Heinz Marketing and Uberflip uncovers how today’s B2B marketing leaders think about content, perceive its importance in their organization, and how the most successful marketing professionals utilize content to accelerate the buyer’s journey.
Get your free copy of the full research report today.