Twitter Power Users Go Mobile [Research]
Three out of every five active Twitter users (or 120 million participants) login using a mobile device at least once every month based on Compete data. Mobile Twitter users display different behavior that’s important for marketers to understand.
According to Experian Hitwise, Twitter recently broke through the Top 10 mobile websites after Amazon. (Understand that Hitwise’s data is weekly.)
Here are three distinct ways that mobile Twitter participants set themselves apart from the rest of the Twitterverse based on research from Compete. (To put this Twitter data in context, here are sixty-nine mobile facts.)
1. Mobile Twitter participants use devices differently
Twitter participants who mainly use mobile devices differ from those who primarily use their computer.
- Mobile Twitter users are about 80% more likely to be on the site multiple times a day.
- About one out of five mobile Twitter participants primarily uses a tablet.
Actionable Marketing Tips:
- Target Twitter messages for on-the-go prospects. Take into consideration your Twitter followers’ location when they view your message.
- Make your content mobile-friendly. Ensure that links lead to pages that are optimized for smartphones and tablets.
- Offer content on Twitter that extends dual content usage. With one-fifth of mobile Twitter participants on tablets, which tend to be used for me-time, give users related content for dual consumption such as television.
2. Mobile Twitter participants check Twitter at home and away 24/7
Participants who tweet via a mobile device check Twitter from the moment they get up until they go to bed. Therefore, marketers must make their Twitter messages time sensitive so that they can be integrated into your audience’s daily routine. Don’t bombard them with more promotions but rather create content that engages your audience at different points during the day, both at home and on-the-go.
Primary mobile Twitter participants are:
- Twice as likely to use Twitter when they get up and go to bed.
- 181% more likely to use Twitter during their commute.
- 119% more likely keep using Twitter at work or school.
- 127% more likely to use Twitter when out with friends.
- Three times more likely to use Twitter while shopping.
Primary mobile Twitter users access the social media site both from inside and outside their homes.
- 57% of mobile Twitter users communicate with people near them via Twitter.
- They are 202% more likely to use Twitter before and after attending a movie.
- 64% use Twitter in front of the TV at home.
- They are 28% more likely than the average Twitter user to tweet while watching television.
Actionable Marketing Tips:
- Approach your Twitter content holistically, especially for your mobile power users. Make your Twitter content a part of your audience’s day by offering time appropriate messages, such as mornings, commutation time and evenings. Of course, it’s important to mind your Twitter etiquette.
- Create time-sensitive non-promotional Twitter content. Use pithy inspiration and humor to keep your audience engaged. The goal is to build your relationships and brand.
- Use hashtags to tailor your tweets.Where appropriate consider targeting the information that you’re sharing.
- Time your messages based on your audience’s usage. Many businesses only tweet when they’re at work, not when their audience is on the social media platform.
3. Mobile Twitter participants engage more
Primarily mobile users create and interact with Twitter more. Specifically, they are:
- 46% more likely to compose their own tweets than average participants on Twitter.
- 44% more likely to click on links within tweets.
- 66% more likely to share content by retweeting it.
- 76% more likely to favorite tweets.
- 60% more likely to follow eleven or more brands, compared with the average Twitter member who follows five or more brands.
- 53% more likely to recall an ad on Twitter than the average Twitter user.
- Encourage your mobile audience to take action. Use a targeted call-to-action and simplify the process via a mobile device.
- Ask mobile followers to share your content. Politely ask them to retweet.
The bottom line is that people who access Twitter via a mobile device, either a smartphone or a tablet, are more likely to use the social media platform all day long and to integrate it into their lives. As a result, they’re more likely to be power users and you must have content they find worth their time.
What has your experience been with mobile Twitter participants?
Social Media Marketing World — San Diego — March 25-27, 2015.
Can't make the conference? Get a Virtual Ticket to Social Media Marketing World 2015
and access all sessions when and where you want!
An annual gathering of the best and brightest content professionals on the planet.Content Marketing World 2015 is open for Registration! I'll be there. Come and join me!
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need a fine-tuned social strategy. This guide is your countdown to the New Year with ten fresh tactics based on the 2014 trends expected to shape the coming year, and ways you can refine your brand's social strategy for success.
Download this guide to learn:
- What changed in social marketing in 2014
- How you can expect social media to change in 2015
- Ways for you to take advantage of the latest social media trends.
- How to Make Every Tweet Count
- How to be a Twitter Chat Champion
- 15 Ways to build your Twitter following.
Photo Credit: http://www.rizwanashraf.com/2009/10/31/30-twitter-icons-and-buttons/