Twitter Power Users Go Mobile [Research]
Three out of every five active Twitter users (or 120 million participants) login using a mobile device at least once every month based on Compete data. Mobile Twitter users display different behavior that’s important for marketers to understand.
According to Experian Hitwise, Twitter recently broke through the Top 10 mobile websites after Amazon. (Understand that Hitwise’s data is weekly.)
Here are three distinct ways that mobile Twitter participants set themselves apart from the rest of the Twitterverse based on research from Compete. (To put this Twitter data in context, here are sixty-nine mobile facts.)
1. Mobile Twitter participants use devices differently
Twitter participants who mainly use mobile devices differ from those who primarily use their computer.
- Mobile Twitter users are about 80% more likely to be on the site multiple times a day.
- About one out of five mobile Twitter participants primarily uses a tablet.
Actionable Marketing Tips:
- Target Twitter messages for on-the-go prospects. Take into consideration your Twitter followers’ location when they view your message.
- Make your content mobile-friendly. Ensure that links lead to pages that are optimized for smartphones and tablets.
- Offer content on Twitter that extends dual content usage. With one-fifth of mobile Twitter participants on tablets, which tend to be used for me-time, give users related content for dual consumption such as television.
2. Mobile Twitter participants check Twitter at home and away 24/7
Participants who tweet via a mobile device check Twitter from the moment they get up until they go to bed. Therefore, marketers must make their Twitter messages time sensitive so that they can be integrated into your audience’s daily routine. Don’t bombard them with more promotions but rather create content that engages your audience at different points during the day, both at home and on-the-go.
Primary mobile Twitter participants are:
- Twice as likely to use Twitter when they get up and go to bed.
- 181% more likely to use Twitter during their commute.
- 119% more likely keep using Twitter at work or school.
- 127% more likely to use Twitter when out with friends.
- Three times more likely to use Twitter while shopping.
Primary mobile Twitter users access the social media site both from inside and outside their homes.
- 57% of mobile Twitter users communicate with people near them via Twitter.
- They are 202% more likely to use Twitter before and after attending a movie.
- 64% use Twitter in front of the TV at home.
- They are 28% more likely than the average Twitter user to tweet while watching television.
Actionable Marketing Tips:
- Approach your Twitter content holistically, especially for your mobile power users. Make your Twitter content a part of your audience’s day by offering time appropriate messages, such as mornings, commutation time and evenings. Of course, it’s important to mind your Twitter etiquette.
- Create time-sensitive non-promotional Twitter content. Use pithy inspiration and humor to keep your audience engaged. The goal is to build your relationships and brand.
- Use hashtags to tailor your tweets.Where appropriate consider targeting the information that you’re sharing.
- Time your messages based on your audience’s usage. Many businesses only tweet when they’re at work, not when their audience is on the social media platform.
3. Mobile Twitter participants engage more
Primarily mobile users create and interact with Twitter more. Specifically, they are:
- 46% more likely to compose their own tweets than average participants on Twitter.
- 44% more likely to click on links within tweets.
- 66% more likely to share content by retweeting it.
- 76% more likely to favorite tweets.
- 60% more likely to follow eleven or more brands, compared with the average Twitter member who follows five or more brands.
- 53% more likely to recall an ad on Twitter than the average Twitter user.
- Encourage your mobile audience to take action. Use a targeted call-to-action and simplify the process via a mobile device.
- Ask mobile followers to share your content. Politely ask them to retweet.
The bottom line is that people who access Twitter via a mobile device, either a smartphone or a tablet, are more likely to use the social media platform all day long and to integrate it into their lives. As a result, they’re more likely to be power users and you must have content they find worth their time.
What has your experience been with mobile Twitter participants?
Attend Social Media Success Summit 2014 to get stellar insights from 45 social media experts including Mari Smith, Jay Baer, Lee Odden and Amy Porterfield.
Order your ticket to Social Media Success Summit NOW and SAVE $380 off the regular price (NOTE: ONLY 500 TICKETS are available at this sale price. This offer is good until August 22, 2014 or when the tickets sell out, whichever comes first.
This important virtual conference offers more than 45 sessions this October. Attend as many as you like; download the rest with no travel costs or hassle.
To compete in the new environment of always connected, highly informed consumers, retailers need to leverage five trends to realize higher conversions and larger transaction sizes.
Find out how you can apply these 5 trends to your business.
- Retailers that embrace and facilitate social where customers are discovering, considering, and buying, can increase wallet share.
- Millennials are driving the way retailers think about consumers and create shopping experiences.
- With mobile, consumers have become an always-on opportunity for retailers to tap.
- Retailers with a successful omni-channel strategy will experience less showrooming and achieve greater market share across all channels.
- Big data will allow retailers to change the consumer experience, boost conversions, and improve margins.
- How to Make Every Tweet Count
- How to be a Twitter Chat Champion
- 15 Ways to build your Twitter following.
Photo Credit: http://www.rizwanashraf.com/2009/10/31/30-twitter-icons-and-buttons/