The Marketing Inspiration You Need
I laughed out loud because I had learned this lesson the quite literally. When I was in elementary school, my mother sent me to the local grocery store to buy 2 cans of dog food.
Since mom didn’t specify which brand, I bought the cheapest one. I can still remember its awful smell. It was so bad the dog refused to eat it!!!
Here are 50 marketing quotes for back-to-school:
- “Make your marketing so useful people would pay you for it.” – Jay Baer
- “If your stories are all about your products and services, that’s not storytelling. It’s a brochure. Give yourself permission to make the story bigger.” – Jay Baer
- “In advertising, not to be different is virtually suicidal.” – Bill Bernbach (Here’s more wisdom from this great MadMan.)
- “A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person. You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well.” – Jeff Bezos
- “Publicity is absolutely critical. A good PR story is infinitely more effective than a front page ad.” – Richard Branson
- “Stories are how we learn best. We absorb numbers and facts and details, but we keep them all glued into our heads with stories.” – Chris Brogan
- “The key is, no matter what story you tell, make your buyer the hero.” – Chris Brogan
- “Make it simple. Make it memorable. Make it inviting to look at. Make it fun to read.” – Leo Burnett (Here are 12 advertising lessons from Leo Burnett that are still relevant today.)
- “People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing.” – Dale Carnegie
- “Talk to someone about themselves and they’ll listen for hours.” – Dale Carnegie
- “Good marketing makes the company look smart. Great marketing makes the customer feel smart.” – Joe Chernov
- “Advertising is what you do when you can’t go see somebody. That’s all it is.” – Fairfax Cone
- “The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell.” – Confucius
- “The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself.“ – Peter Drucker
- “Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” – Bill Gates
- “If you show people the problems and you show people the solutions they will be moved to act.” – Bill Gates
- “Marketing is a contest for people’s attention.” – Seth Godin
- “Permission marketing is marketing without interruptions.” – Seth Godin
- “Good content isn’t about good storytelling. It’s about telling a true story well.” – Ann Handley
- “Make the customer the hero of your story.” – Ann Handley
- “Give them quality. That’s the best kind of advertising.” – Milton Hershey
- “I’d rather spend money on things that improve the customer experience than on marketing.” – Tony Hsieh
- “We decided that if we get the culture right, most of the stuff, like building a brand around delivering the very best customer service, will just take care of itself.” – Tony Hsieh
- “Bring the best of your authentic self to every opportunity.” – John Jantsch
- “Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” – Steve Jobs (Here are 7 of Steve Jobs’ Marketing Lessons.)
- “Quality is much better than quantity. One home run is much better than two doubles.” – Steve Jobs
- “The worst advice? ‘Don’t listen to the critics.’ I think that you really ought to listen to the critics, because sometimes they’re telling you something is broken that you can fix.” – Stephen King
- “If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.” – Stephen King
- “Marketing is the art of creating genuine customer value. It is the art of helping your customer become better off.” – Phillip Kotler
- “Companies pay too much attention to the cost of doing something. They should worry more about the cost of not doing it.” – Phillip Kotler
- “Marketing is what you do when your product is no good.” – Edwin H. Land
- “Content is the atomic particle of all digital marketing. Everything.” – Rebecca Lieb
- “People share, read and generally engage more with any type of content when it’s surfaced through friends and people they know and trust.” – Malorie Lucich (Facebook)
- “Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.” – Niccolò Machiavelli
- “Blogging isn’t about publishing as much as you can. It’s about publishing as smart as you can.” – Jon Morrow
- “Anyone can start a blog, but the real test is getting readers.” – Jon Morrow
- “Content Isn’t King, It’s the Kingdom.” – Lee Odden
- “The consumer isn’t a moron. She is your wife.” – David Ogilvy (Here are 5 content marketing lessons from an original MadMan.)
- “…the most critical part of a successful content marketing program is building your audience….Without the audience, we cannot drive revenue of any kind.” – JoePulizzi
- “A branding program should be designed to differentiate your cow from all the other cattle on the range. Even if all the cattle on the range look pretty much alike.” – Al Ries
- “You must make the product interesting, not just make the ad different.” – Rosser Reeves
- “Take some initiative and snap outside of passivity; consistent small actions have impact.” – Darren Rowse
- “Nobody cares about your products (except you)” – David Meerman Scott,
- “… many organizations don’t realize that they have a much better option—they can tell their story directly to an interested market.” – David Meerman Scott,
- “The simplest definition of advertising, and one that will probably meet the test of critical examination, is that advertising is selling in print.” – Daniel Starch
- “If you want to understand how a lion hunts, don’t go to the zoo. Go to the jungle.” – Jim Stengal
- “Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” – Sun-Tzu
- “To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” – Sun Tzu
- “When it call comes down to it, nothing trumps execution.” – Gary Vaynerchuk
- “Don’t sell the steak. Sell the sizzle.” – Elmer Wheeler. (This was a favorite saying of my dad’s. Here’s my spin on the quote.)
Over time, marketing is discussed in terms of war. This is why the true masters of the art, Sun Tzu and Machiavelli, are part of this list.
Want to improve your marketing? Spend time each day with one of these quotes and consider how to follow its advice so that you can improve your business.
What other marketing quotes would you add to this list and why?
Even though Content Marketing World is finished until next September, you can still get all the content from 2014's exciting conference. The CMWorld On Demand package includes: Audio and video from the 2014 keynote sessions, audio and PowerPoint presentations of all the breakout sessions, over 40 audio sessions from the leading B2B and B2C brands, as well as keynote video performances.
An annual gathering of the best and brightest content professionals on the planet. People who know the secrets (and are willing to share them). People who value content as a business asset. People who have made it their life’s work to develop repeatable, systematic approaches to producing amazingly effective content.
Build effective marketing campaigns by learning what works.
Find your inspiration by looking at what leaders in the industry have done to drive revenue, engagement, and conversions from their apps.
In this 49-page eBook, we showcase real-life examples of killer app marketing campaigns to get your creative juices flowing. You'll learn what makes each campaign work and how to apply these lessons to your own app strategy.
Here's what's inside!
- How to use the best marketing ideas of leading apps
- An introduction to the four pillars of app marketing
- A checklist of best practices for running campaigns that work
- A carefully curated collection of real-world examples (with actionable takeaways and tips)
Turn your app marketing up a notch thanks to these focused examples.
Now there are two ways to get Heidi Cohen’s Actionable Marketing Guide by Email:
Subscribe to receive notice of each new actionable marketing post delivered free, directly to your inbox.
Signup for the weekly Actionable Marketing Newsletter and get a roundup of of the week’s posts, plus extra content you won’t find on the website, plus a free e-book: What Every Blogger Needs to Know – 101 Actionable Blog Tips
Photo Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/illuminated_photography/3230226348