While long form content is part of every marketer’s content marketing strategy and offering mix, the question is: Does it deliver value for the amount of resources and budget required to create it?
Charts complied by Josh Schwartz, Chartbeat‘s data scientist offer useful insights content creators must consider. We examine the implications and offer five actionable content marketing tactics to help you meet your audience’s content needs.
4 Long format content findings
Schwartz compared data for Slate.com against a mix of 1 million visitors on 10 top publishers. The average web article is about 2,000 pixels in length not including information that follows the piece such as comments. Therefore readers can consume over 100% of the article although this often results from images and videos at the bottom of the article. It’s important to note that this data was based on web-based articles. As a result, don’t draw conclusions about other long forms of content like white papers and ebooks.
- 10% of visitors never scroll on an average article, twice the percentage that don’t scroll on Slate.com. In part this may be attributed to Slate.com’s page layout that requires readers to scroll to view more than the title and main image. These people exhibit some form of interaction because those who leave or bounce after landing aren’t included in these results.
- On average, most readers get through 60% of the article, compared with 50% of a Slate.com article. This means most articles aren’t read to completion resulting in missed information.
- People share articles on social media platforms before they finish reading them. While unable to track individual tweets directly, Chartbeat examined the total number of tweets and compared it to the number of visitors who scrolled through the article. For content marketers, this news is a mixed blessing. Although readers don’t consume all of the long content, they still contribute to earned media. Chartbeat found that articles that attract a lot of tweets don’t necessarily get read very deeply and articles read in-depth don’t receive many social media shares.
- Almost two-thirds of time spent on a webpage is “below the fold”. This translates to that fact that higher-quality content causes people to scroll more.
5 Actionable content marketing tactics for long form content
Do these findings mean content marketers should just focus on photographs and tweets? The simple answer is no. But more consideration is needed. Here are five tips to help you use these findings in your content marketing strategy.
- Know your audience. Understand whom you’re trying to reach. To this end, create a marketing persona and a social media buyer persona to facilitate the process. Specifically, you’re looking to find out what content your prospects, customers and fans seek from you, what platforms they use to consume the content, and what type of device and where they’re located when they seek your information. This provides context for your content enabling you to tailor to their specific needs.
- Incorporate photographs and videos. This is no surprise. Images are reader magnets. They pull potential readers into your content. (Here are some tips to make your images more effective.)
- Format content to facilitate consumption. Make it easy for readers to get through your information. Use bolding and outlining. Breakup long paragraphs.
- Plan content reuse in advance. If most of your readers don’t read the entire piece, make sure that you’re offering your content in another form elsewhere to ensure you maximize the number of readers attracted and leads generated. By creating all related content at one time, you can minimize effort and costs.
- Test different content presentations. Just as Slate.com’s readers consumed a different amount of information from the average publication, your content readability for your target audience may differ. Therefore test different presentations, lengths and platforms to determine what works best for your specific audience.
Therefore, marketers must continually try new formats, platforms and presentations to determine what’s optimal for their prospects and customers at each stage of the purchase process.
What has your experience been with using long form content marketing?
P.S. Want to find out more about content marketing and get the tools you and your team need? Then join me at Content Marketing World September 9th through 12th in Cleveland, OH where there are over 60 sessions focused on helping you improve your content effectives.
Registration closes this Friday!
But as my special guest you can sign up now for Content Marketing World using my affiliate code SPEAKERGUEST for a $100 discount on the standard registration price.
Join fellow marketers at the online mega-conference designed to inspire and empower you—Social Media Success Summit 2016, brought to you by Social Media Examiner.
Discover the best and newest ways to market your business on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter, Pinterest and Snapchat.
Find new ways to improve your content and measure your results with sessions on video, live video, visual marketing, analytics and marketing tools.
Free Guide —
It’s tempting to view social media and SEO as two separate entities, but in our experience these two elements of digital marketing are interwoven.
Using appropriate search terms in your social media posts helps users find your most relevant content and clearly spells out what’s being offered. In turn, social media shares greatly benefit your search engine visibility in many ways. Use this guide to help you quickly and easily boost your SEO.
Now there are two ways to get Heidi Cohen’s Actionable Marketing Content by Email:
Subscribe to receive the full text of each new actionable marketing post delivered free, five days a week to your inbox.
Signup for the weekly Actionable Marketing Newsletter and get a roundup of of the week’s posts, plus extra content you won’t find on the website, plus a free e-book: What Every Blogger Needs to Know – 101 Actionable Blog Tips
Giant cookie: H Shapiro via http://www.flickr.com/photos/hshap/469025786/