10 Super Easy Tips To Improve Roundup Results
Roundup posts are “sweet”.
As a specialized form of content curation, roundup posts are the content marketing gift that keeps on giving when done well.
Content curation roundup post definition
A content curation roundup post is a piece of content where you collect input from different people.
Most commonly, the information gathered is new and created specifically for the article. Each content contribution is used with little or no editing.
Each contributor is explicitly cited with relevant credentials. When published online, each contribution includes a link to the relevant source. These links are search engine gold. This is the cheese that attracts experts to answer your requests to contribute.
As the roundup post author you do all of the heavy lifting in terms of contacting experts and formatting the final piece. Additionally, You add context in the form of an introduction and conclusion. This is what distinguishes a piece of roundup from a set of search results.
The article may include screenshots, examples and/or photographs of the experts.
When you publish the content, let your contributors know and ask them to share it on social media. If you’ve got influencers involved, this can boost your reach.
Here’s an example of the content curation roundup post on Actionable Marketing Guide.
3 Key content curation roundup post benefits
Marketers and bloggers use roundup posts since they provide the following 3 benefits:
- Provide expert input.
- Attract reader attention.
- Enhance content distribution.
The dirty little secret of content curation roundup posts
On the surface, a roundup post looks like the shortcut to content creation.
BUT the dirty little secret of roundup articles is they require a lot of work. In my experience, they’re more work than sitting down and writing a piece from scratch.
10 Steps to create a content curation roundup post
- Develop the roundup post idea and question. Assess what questions and information are important to your audience.
- Create a list of experts from whom to request input. Anticipate that your list must be longer than the number of people you expect to respond. Not everyone will participate. Even if they like you, they’re busy.
- Contact your list of influential people. You need to be able to communicate with them via email or a social media platform. (If you’re a newbie writer without a big name company, blog or media platform behind you, this may be a challenge.)
- Add a cushion of time. Don’t expect people to respond immediately! Allow enough time to respond if they’re busy, but not so much time that they forget.
- Be persistent in your follow up without being a pest! Remember this is from the recipient’s point of view, not yours!!!
- Combine the input into a single document. Whether you use Google Drive, MS Word, WordPress or another option, wrangle the information into a nicely formatted piece.
- Add your commentary. At a minimum, include your response as well as an introduction and conclusion.
- Edit and format the content. Make sure you have permission before you change someone else’s words. (I learned this point the hard way by editing someone’s comments for grammar and it was an issue.)
- Optimize the article for search and distribution. Focus your request around a keyword phrase, craft an attention-getting headline, and include a photo. Don’t forget social sharing.
- Let contributors know you’ve published the piece. Don’t assume your experts are waiting for your piece to be published. Send them a follow up after you’ve published the piece. BTW—Don’t forget to thank them for their participation.
10 Super easy content curation roundup tips to improve your results!
Here are 10 super easy content curation tips get maximum benefit from your roundup.
- Minimize your ask. To get more people involved, reduce the work involved. Requesting only one quick answer will get you more responses.
- Give contributors a reason to participate. Among the key benefits to offer are the publishing platform, the other participants, and a link to wherever they wish. Arnie Kuenn publishes roundup posts on sites like Content Marketing Institute that link power and sex appeal. His post, How To Go All In On Content Marketing, is a good example.
- Leverage the power of your network reach influencers. Where appropriate, ask other people to help you gather input.
- Craft a knockout headline. Headlines lure readers in. Barry Feldman did a great job of this with the title to his post on Jay Baer’s Convince and Convert blog, Influencer Marketing, Rick Springfield, and a Bottle Opener that Opened Doors. This 3-part title is straight out of the Jon Morrow headline playbook. It links 3 seemingly unrelated ideas into 1 post.
- Change the content format. Think beyond text. For example, Lee Odden has perfected the conference roundup. He converts expert input into a branded presentation posted on SlideShare.
- Get visual. Add photographs, charts, text presentations of quotes, and other types of images. Barry Feldman drew a cartoon infographic for his Convince and Convert article.
- Extend your roundup content. This is another tip from Lee Odden. Save some unique content for a related blog post.
- Incorporate social sharing into your roundup. Go beyond social sharing icons at the top and bottom of your article. Include ClickToTweet for shareworthy phrases and PinThis for images and charts.
- Include an appropriate, optimized call-to-action (CTA). Not every roundup post uses this tip. Leverage the traffic that the post will yield to get readers to take 1 small action. It can be to share the content or to sign up for email.
- Ask your peeps to share your finished content. Don’t push contributors to share the finished work. Gently nudge them to distribute it. Here’s where using a third party media entity can be a big boon since they generally have broader reach.
- BONUS: Pay for distribution. Don’t go it alone. If you’ve got a really big piece of content, support it with paid advertising such as Facebook ads and press release distribution.
The bottom line: Roundup posts are an effective form of content curation that continues to deliver results for the long term.
BUT curating a roundup post takes a lot of work on your part.
Therefore, make sure that you properly execute each effort to maximize the results.
What else would you add to this list based on your content curated roundup posts?
Join fellow marketers at the mega-conference designed to inspire and empower you—Social Media Success World 2007, brought to you by Social Media Examiner.
Discover the best and newest ways to market your business on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter, Pinterest and Snapchat.
The event takes place March 22-24, 2017, in San Diego. Actionable Marketing readers get a special, early registration discount. Act Now And Save!
Great content isn't just about producing a well written piece. It's about addressing your audience's relevant pain points and showing that you understand their needs. Don't be shy to freely give away advice and information—great content always comes from the heart.
If you can address the issues your customers care about most with a solution or perspective in which your company has real expertise, they tend to respond positively, becoming loyal supporters, and even evangelists. Show content effectiveness, establish a direct connection to your reader, and grab their attention for good by engaging, entertaining, and informing them.
Find out how to:
- Create an effective content strategy
- Focus on the key elements that comprise of attention grabbing content
- Make your content impactful with some key writing tips
Now there are two ways to get Heidi Cohen’s Actionable Marketing Guide by Email:
Subscribe to receive notice of each new actionable marketing post delivered free, directly to your inbox.
Signup for the weekly Actionable Marketing Newsletter and get a roundup of of the week’s posts, plus extra content you won’t find on the website, plus a free e-book: What Every Blogger Needs to Know – 101 Actionable Blog Tips
Photo Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/edthomesphotography/4032595861