10 Actionable Content Curation Tips [Research]
Almost 60% of marketers believe that content curation is critical to remain competitive with their peers and close substitutes.
To stand out in a sea of information, firms must continually prove they’re top thought leaders – not only by sharing their original content, but also by spotlighting third party information. SUBTEXT: Keep your name and brand in front of prospects and customers by curating other people’s content, saving them time.
Despite blurring the line between original and third party content, marketers believe that content curation doesn’t dilute their brand.
How much content should you curate daily?
Content marketers believe that the optimal number of pieces of content they should curate daily is 10. This was the answer made by roughly one-fifth of the Trapit respondents. Further, almost 60% of marketers believe they need to share 10 or more pieces of content per day.
The number 10 seems arbitrary since most professionals check their email and social media feeds at key times during workdays, namely at the beginning of the day, lunchtime and at the end of the day. While they may also check these venues at other times, they’re more difficult to target.
Therefore, this activity would point to providing 1 or more pieces of content at these key times across important time zones for your business. Assuming you share 1 to 3 pieces of information over a 2 hour window at each of these key times, this would translate to 3 to 9 pieces of content.
To determine the optimal schedule for your content sharing, you should look at your email and social media engagement results. Additionally, you should test what works best.
If you’re targeting consumers with your content, your timing should synch with your audience’s content engagement, most likely evenings and weekends, not with your work schedule!
What’s hindering content curation?
Interestingly, 45% of marketers surveyed weren’t able to curate as much content as they believe they should.
Marketers cite 3 key factors that hinder their ability to curate content effectively.
- 60% find it difficult to curate content that peers and competitors aren’t already highlighting. This underestimates the power of supporting key thought leaders and influencers in your niche by sharing their content on social networks. This will help you get their attention.
- 57% find it difficult to find the right kind of content to curate. Find the key people who are influencers and thought leaders in your field. Also set up Google alerts. Don’t underestimate the power of curating content created by your employees and customers.
- 53% find it challenging to curate content amidst content saturation. To curate content effectively you must package your information to stand out and add commentary. The objective is to add value to the information you share.
But this doesn’t mean that marketers believe that content curation is a silver bullet. Over 55% believe that it’s more important to post a few pieces of original content than to publish multiple pieces of curated content. These marketers underestimate the fact that social media users frown on companies and individuals that only call attention to themselves and their own content.
Actionable content curation tips
To facilitate your content curation, you need a process.
Set up an effective content collection procedure.
- Use your favorite news reader and sign up for the key newsletters in your niche and related fields. Your goal is to cast a big net.
- Set up Google alerts for appropriate keywords. This will help you capture anything that happens to be outside of your key reading.
- Monitor social media platforms for your category’s influencers and thought leaders as well as important hashtags.
Pick the real information nuggets.
- Ask the question: “Is this worth my audience’s time?” Your goal is to save your audience the time of sifting through the myriad of content sources to get the best of the best available.
- Ensure that the information sources are reputable. If you’re sharing this information, understand that your audience is going to assume that you did your homework.
- Check the rights associated with the content. Over half of marketers have some type of problem when they curate other people’s information. Ask your legal department if you’re in doubt!
- Decide where the information should be shared. Content isn’t one size fits all. Take care to determine what information you’ll distribute on which platform(s).
Package curated content for easy consumption.
- Add your own commentary. You must show that you’re providing additional value to your readers. Otherwise, why should they follow you?
- Leverage the power of visuals. Where possible use an image to highlight the value of the information.
- Make it mobile friendly. Think snackable content. Your audience will most likely be reading your content on a smartphone or tablet. Ensure that your offering can be read on these devices!
As the Trapit research shows, content curation is an important element of your content marketing strategy because it supplements your organization’s own content creation.
How do you feel about content curation? Does your organization curate content? If so, what’s your experience been. If not, what has hindered you?
Content Marketing World 2015 I'll be there. Come and join me!
Get $100 off the registration fee – use our promo code: Cohen
This 16-page eBook has the 4 most essential key performance indicator (KPI) dashboards for both sales and marketing that CEOs need to evaluate their company's performance in these areas. The eBook also has a one-page review for CEOs to use to help them manage their departments and demonstrate growth.
Now there are two ways to get Heidi Cohen’s Actionable Marketing Content by Email:
Subscribe to receive the full text of each new actionable marketing post delivered free, five days a week to your inbox.
Signup for the weekly Actionable Marketing Newsletter and get a roundup of of the week’s posts, plus extra content you won’t find on the website, plus a free e-book: What Every Blogger Needs to Know – 101 Actionable Blog Tips
Photo Credit: 準建築人手札網站 Forgemind ArchiMedia http://www.flickr.com/photos/eager/9236142765/